In the event that: 1) anyone is exposed to an unusual dose of radioactive material or radiation, or 2) there is a major spill of radioactive material, or 3) there is a fire in an area where radioactive material or radiation producing devices are present:
1. Dial 911 and give the exact location of the incident (building, room number, etc.) and any known details. Be sure to give your name, office number, and telephone extension.
2. In case of a major spill or ruptured source of radioactive material, proceed with the following:
- Advise all personnel not involved in the spill to vacate the room at once.
- If the spill has occurred on skin, flush the exposed area with water.
- c. If the spill has occurred on clothing, remove outer clothing at once.
- d. Close all windows and shut off fans and air conditioners immediately.
- e. Vacate the room, but stay nearby in a safe area outside the room until released by an official from Environmental Health and Safety.
3. In the event of emergency involving a radiation producing device, proceed with the following:
- Advise all persons to evacuate the area at once.
- If possible, turn off the radiation producing device using the power switch.
- Vacate the room, but stay nearby in a safe area outside the room until released by an official from Environmental Health and Safety.