What You Can Do
- Take note of your building's floor plan and exit routes.
- Participate in fire drills and safety training programs.
- Be prepared for winter weather.
- Report all work-related injuries, illnesses, and hazardous material spills.
- Designate a meeting place outside of the building for your unit or department, or make note of an existing meeting place.
- Prepare and disseminate telephone trees and contact information for your unit or floor, and be sure you have the most recent contact information. Program your cellular phone with advance emergency information, including the UNL main number: 402-472-7211.
- Identify tornado shelter areas in basements or interior hallways or corridors.
- Keep a flashlight and battery-operated radio nearby.
- Locate the nearest fire extinguisher and fire alarm. Learn to use a fire extinguisher.
- Schedule an emergency preparation or safety course with Environmental Health and Safety. For information, call 402-472-4925.
- Know where to find university emergency information and basic first aid materials.
- Prepare yourself and your family at home so they know what to do if you are involved in an emergency, including where to go and how to cope until you're able to get home.
How You Will Be Notified
Note About 911
Please note that the 911 telephone number is for reporting emergencies only. Do not call 911 to try to obtain information about an emergency situation.
A number of resources are available for distributing critical information and instructions to the UNL community during an emergency.
Your Emergency Information Sources
In the event of a major emergency affecting the campus, the administration will use one or more of the following means to communicate with the university community:
- Public Address and Alarms
- Alarm Bells, Tones, Amplified Voice - these systems, because of their immediacy and proximity, will be used in many potential emergency situations. (Note, these systems are not available in all buildings or all areas of campus, however, upgrades and additions are being studied.)
- UNL Alert Emergency Notification
- Web Announcements
- E-mail notifications to UNL e-mail addresses through the Information Services announce system.
- Emergency reports may be available through KRNU 90.3 FM.